I need to go grocery shopping so today is clean out the refrigerator day. The first thing I saw was a container of homemade cranberry sauce leftover from Thanksgiving (which happens to be very good). Off I went to Allrecipes to find a recipe using cranberry sauce. Since I had one pie crust left in the refrigerator, I decided to make Cranberry Cherry Pie. As I only had one pie crust, I needed to make a crumble-top pie instead. I looked in the pie section of my Ultimate Southern Living Cookbook and used one of the crumble toppings they had. The recipe I borrowed the crumble topping from is Cran-Apple Pie. For this pie, they used fresh cranberries. I so happened to have slightly over a half cup of fresh cranberries left over from when I made the cranberry sauce for Thanksgiving. Anyway, after all the combinations and substitutions this is the recipe I came up with:
Cran-Cherry Crumble Pie
- 1 premade pie crust (homemade or store bought)
- 1 (21-ounce) can cherry pie filling
- 2 cups whole cranberry sauce
- 1/2 cup fresh or frozen cranberries
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
For the crumble
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Dash of ground nutmeg
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Line a 9″ pie plate with pie crust.
- Combine cherry pie filling, cranberry sauce, cranberries, cornstarch and ginger.
- Spoon filling into pie crust.
- Combine flour, brown sugar, cinnamon and nutmeg.
- Cut butter into mixture using a pastry blender until mixture is crumbly.
- Stir walnuts into flour mixture.
- Sprinkle mixture over pie filling.
- Bake at 375°F for 45 minutes.
- Serve warm or at room temperature.
Easy-peasy!! It is really delicious. As you can see from the photo, the slice lost its shape because the filling ran out. That always happens to me when I make fruit pies.
Does it need more cornstarch? Never mind, I went in the kitchen and it’s fine now. I just was impatient and cut it too early. Who cares about a pretty looking piece of pie anyway. I was too good to wait.
The only thing I would add to this is some orange zest or extract. Just to add another dimension and zing it up a bit.
It’s only 1:00 in the afternoon and I think I want another slice. I should probably save some for the rest of the family, though. I did have only one piece though… so far.